Job Opportunities in the Tax Community
Ryan, LLC – Principal, Advocacy
Posting Date: March 29, 2021
Company: Ryan, LLC
Location: Sacramento, CA; San Diego, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Oakland, CA; Bellevue, WA; San Jose, CA
Position Type: Full-TimeApply
The Principal, Advocacy serves as Ryan’s key point of contact with tax administrators, elected officials, and policy leaders within a region or state. The geography (region) for this role is the State of California.
The ideal job candidate must have these strategic relationships in place and an established record of success developing tax policies and procedures and resolving tax disputes and will most likely reside in Sacramento, California (or any major city in the State of California).
The Advocacy Principal will work independently and cooperatively coordinating Ryan’s advocacy objectives within the region leading interdepartmental teams made up of other Ryan tax professionals, advocates, attorneys, and third-parties.
The Principal, Advocacy is responsible for leading Advocacy activities in their defined geography to represent the interests of Ryan and its clients at all levels of government and will be responsible for developing and executing strategies that align with business priorities. This individual will negotiate resolutions on specific client cases with the Department of Revenue, State Executive Branch and other State and Local decision makers.
This Principal will establish positive working relationships with Federal, State and Local government officials and their constituencies. This individual will be the lead Ryan executive in the region leading interdepartmental teams to create both short-term and long-term success closing cases and improving processes. They will lead and manage a team of service delivery advocates, attorneys, and internal and third-party lobbyists. They will also work with strategic third-party groups that align with the firm’s needs.
- Resolve client cases and issues in an expeditious and beneficial manner for both the client and the firm.
- Lead strike team on key issues creating strategy and managing execution of plan to solve client problems and improve processes.
- Develop and execute a strategy (long-term and short-term) aligning with Ryan overall vision of government relations and client advocacy to achieve business goals.
- Develop, gather and drive persuasive public policy ideas, solutions, and countermeasures effectively.
- Consult with senior leadership team to strategize and set agenda in each respective state agency and legislative session.
- Review and enact policy, regulatory and legislative changes, internally or through an outside lobby group, to drive favorable outcomes, and benefit the organization’s business goals.
- Build on Ryan’s reputation to drive innovation in taxpayer services.
- Identify and work with key third-party organizations that align with the firm’s interests to mobilize them for support.
- Responsible for elevating and managing political profile with key local, state, and federal officials and making political giving recommendations.
- Lead geographic interdepartmental teams, of subject matter experts to identify opportunities and issues in a proactive manner.
- Develop effective and timely case and issue status reports, success factors and goal alignment, timely scheduled communications to key stakeholders and executive leadership updating progress and on-going strategic efforts.
- Create a positive, work environment where team members can thrive and provide excellent client service and drive exceptional results.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or post graduate degree in law, government, political management, or public policy. Master’s degree, Juris Doctor, or Master of Public Administration degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in Government Affairs in a corporation or professional services firm managing multiple advocacy campaigns, having the subject matter expertise in tax recovery and minimization services, and previous track record of excellent service delivery and working in a team environment. Possession of the essential skills required.
Essential Skills Required:
- Highly effective negotiator with strong business acumen in tax matters with the ability to achieve successful, measurable and meaningful results in cases and campaigns resulting in positive changes in tax policy
- Thorough knowledge in Federal and State tax laws and government affairs, proven track record of effectively and successfully working with senior government officials, staff members, and regulators
- Established, key relationships with those individuals who are decision makers and in positions of influence in regulatory agencies and state legislatures
- Experienced in analyzing, interpreting, and assessing tax policies and recommending a strategy that results in a favorable outcome
- Exceptional communications skills with individuals, small groups and large audience presentations
- Demonstrated experience in keeping campaigns at top of mind with stakeholders, lobbyist, and moving towards a positive outcome for Ryan clients
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a focused attention to detail and accuracy, organizational skills to manage multiple projects to completion and proactively keeping those involved updated
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team-based environment and adaptable to changing priorities in a dynamic environment
- A work style that operates with a sense of urgency and thoroughness and professional demeanor that promotes and encourages trust and confidence in tax matters
- Effective management of outside vendors (e.g. lobby groups)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft® Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, PowerBI and Internet navigation and research.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license required.
Directly or indirectly supervises employees in the Practice and interdepartmental teams and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Firm’s policies and applicable laws.
- Standard indoor working environment.
- Requires some after hours and weekend work.
- Occasional long periods of sitting while working at computer.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push or pull up to 30 lbs.
- Position requires regular interaction with employees and clients in person, on video and via e-mail and telephone.
- Independent travel requirement: 30 to 50%.
Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran
Post a Job
Post your company’s job openings! CalTax members can post a position at no charge. Non-CalTax members will incur a non-refundable charge of $100 for each 90-day job posting.Submit a Job Posting